Dodgeball is a fun and fast-paced game for both kids and adults. The factor behind the success in this game remains same as any other sport i.e., if you want to be successful you need teamwork, communication, fitness & strategy. The best team isn’t necessarily the one who throws the ball the fastest, but is the one who has best Dodgeball skills. It may sound simple that to win the game, dodge the ball. But, actually it isn’t as easy. You have to spend some time learning and practicing skills to make the game more competitive. So, let’s learn how you can perfect your Dodgeball skills.
Proper warm up before the game
Dodgeball may seem a fun game, but it works out all the muscles in your body. So, it is recommended to warm up before you start the game. Pre-match warm-up plays a vital part in enhancing the performance and reducing the factor of injury. The player should avoid going through the functional activity, unless fully warmed up and flexible. The warm up includes:
- Doing a series of exercises and stretches to increase core and muscle temperature.
- Going for a light jog and practice your throws.
- Drink water and stay hydrated at all times.
Coordinate with your teammates
- To avoid being bunched up in an area spread out with your teammates on the court.
- Plan a strategy with your teammates – communicate with the players on court and throw at the same target at the same time.
- Avoid standing directly in front of your teammate or they will struggle to see the path of the throw.
- Do not use other teammates as human shields.
- Know the rules and follow them.
- Make a strategy to eliminate the stronger opponent first.
- Fool your opponents and fake your throws.
- Target your opponent when they jump.
- Throw near feet to make it difficult for opponents to catch.
- Time your throw properly.
- Deflect the balls away by using your ball to block their throw.
- Ensure blocked balls are clearly deflected away from your body otherwise you are out.
- Develop new ways to avoid being hit and be creative.
- Practice catching all types of throws – fast and slow.
These are just some of the skills we have mentioned here. You can learn more about the Dodgeball game by joining our camps.